No two hydropower schemes are alike and cbec approaches each project on a site-specific basis.
Our team will consider the possible impacts of and to the scheme in relation to the river environment and propose various mitigation alternatives if appropriate. Our geomorphic and ecological expertise enables us to identify impacts to aquatic resources (particularly fish and fisheries) and suggest cost-efficient approaches to minimise these.
cbec’s team will provide assessment and advice on:
- Characterisation of key geomorphic and hydrological characteristics of a site
- Design of key features of hydro-electric power schemes so that impacts on hydrology, natural sediment processes and aquatic ecology are minimised
- Distribution and status of local fish populations and their critical habitat requirements
- Sustainable mitigation measures and fish and fisheries monitoring plans
Associated technical services include
- Detailed and tailored topographical/bathymetrical surveying
- Review of applications and draft licence determinations and existing licences
- Liaison, consultation and negotiation with key stakeholders (including local fisheries’ interests) and statutory authorities over the content of plans and programmes in relation to local environmental challenges
- Data management and analysis, client reporting and representation on management group
- Pre- and post- commissioning surveys/monitoring, assessment and reviews