Our Unique Selling Points
cbec’s experience, adaptability, and staff expertise come through in a variety of ways for every project:
cbec has substantial project experience all across the United Kingdom, while our international experience includes projects in the United States.
- cbec’s current services are supported by extensive experience in a broad range of past projects: from managing large, multi-disciplinary, multi-stakeholder water resources projects within one of our specialised Focus Areas; to providing specific modelling, surveying or data analysis within an individual Technical Service should only that be needed.
- We are extremely flexible in what we can provide in any of our Focus Areas or Technical Services, from small specific pieces or work up to an end-to-end service incorporating a variety of scientific technical services and full management of an entire project. In this way, cbec can enter a existing project to deliver any particular component, or design a scheme from scratch for those clients who are only in the planning stages.
- cbec is fully committed to producing high quality work at an affordable price. Our billing rates are extremely competitive and we offer enhanced technical proficiency and client service.
- Despite our expansion, cbec maintains a detail-driven approach: our Managing Directors, Dr Hamish Moir and Dr Chris Bowles, are always intimately involved with each project undertaken. In particular, conceptual guidance, quality assurance and quality control are of chief concern.
We have completed projects from only a thousand pounds to several hundred thousand pounds so are sure to be of help. We are always happy to discuss on any level, so please contact us.
UK River Experience
cbec has an exceptional portfolio of successful project delivery in the UK and Europe. We have worked with clients and associates across a broad range of sectors including regulatory bodies, conservation organisations, councils, river/fishery trusts, water/energy suppliers and engineering companies.
Our projects often comprise multiple stages of assessment and monitoring (e.g. geomorphic/habitat mapping, high-resolution topographic/bathymetric surveys, hydrodynamic modelling, sedimentology, site super-vision), each tailored specifically to the individual site and project objectives.
- Allt Lorgy
- Drumnadrochit FPS
- Eddleston Water
- River Nairn
- East Tullos Burn
- River Nith
- Westnewton Bridge
- River Derwent
- Adare Manor
- River Ouse (Sussex)
- River Mease
- River Babingley
- River Wandle
- River Devon
- River Otter
- River Elwy
- River Kent
- and many other rivers and tributaries
European Union Policy and Legislation
The cbec team has a strong understanding of European Union environmental policies and legislation, such as the Water Framework Directive, Habitats Directive (Natura 2001) and the Floods Directive. The Water Framework Directive aims to improve and co-ordinate the water environment is managed throughout Europe, ensuring water bodies attain certain quality standards (i.e. ‘good ecological status’) within a set timetable. The Floods Directive aims to reduce and manage risks due to floods, and the Habitat Directive is aimed at protecting natural habitats.
These directives directly or indirectly influence all of our project work. cbec specialises in eco-engineering; water resources engineering services that are concerned with developing and providing ecologically sensitive and environmentally sustainable solutions in the fields of hydrology, hydraulics, geomorphology and restoration and rehabilitation design. As such, we provide a set of skills ideally tailored to assisting the implementation of these EU environmental directives.
We focus on innovative and sustainable solutions for the water resources industry while explicitly considering this legislation. Our research and experience enable us to combine the demands of flood-risk management with ecosystem enhancement as well as other considerations such as agriculture, renewable energy production and urban development. Balancing these demands is critical to the future sustainability of our water-dependent ecosystems.
cbec eco-engineering UK is committed to promoting sustainability. Concern for the environment and promoting a broader sustainability agenda are integral to cbec’s professional activities and the management of the organisation. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our clients and partners to do the same.
Current or potential clients are welcome to read through our Sustainability Policy. Please contact us and we will be happy to share and discuss how it improves your project.
Whilst our Sustainability Policy is very broad, cbec operates and implements the policy based upon the following principles:
- To comply with and exceed, where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices
- To review and to strive to improve our sustainability performance
We operate our professional activities and the management of our organisation in a way that enables all people to realise their potential and improve their quality of life while protecting and enhancing the earth’s natural capital. This aspiration is operationalised for our purposes by our sustainability objectives, targets and indicators. We are therefore committed to continually improve the integration of sustainability into our working environment and business processes. Our aim is to play a proactive role in contributing to achieving sustainability where we have influence. Furthermore, we are committed to accountability and transparency in our sustainability performance.